Saturday, November 24, 2012

Presentation Reflections


Reflecting back on my presentation, I felt that I was confident in introducing my research topic of the pervasive problem of food deserts in South LA by combining two fields in public policy and [psychology*] to my classmates. Throughout my PowerPoint presentation, I explained the implications of food deserts and why they should be made aware to the people of Los Angeles County.

The prevalence of food deserts, especially in low-income areas such as South LA, is problematic as our society is constantly making advancements toward eco-friendly living. Food deserts in South LA curtail the efforts of policymakers and public health advocates whose goal is to improve the health of their constituents and eliminate socioeconomic disparities. As I have mentioned in my last blog post, food deserts are complex problems that encompass a wide spectrum of issues and there is not so there is not a “one-fits-all” type of solution.

South LA's Community Food Project: Operation Market Makeover
As I expressed in my presentation, the solution to complex issues such as these must begin at the grassroots level. A grassroots-model that advocates active community participation, funding from private and nonprofit businesses and collaborations with policymakers will transform South LA’s prolonged problem of being the “food desert” of Los Angeles County. Civic engagement from South LA residents and collaboration with policymakers and businesses will help transform South LA’s food desert into an accessible and nutritious food environment. 

French political thinker: Alexis de Tocqueville
French political thinker and ethics advocate Alexis de Tocqueville stated, “In America the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion; within these barriers an author may write what he pleases, but woe to him if he goes beyond them” (Cooper, 2008).  Tocqueville stressed the value and importance of civic engagement, activism and individualism, as these components are necessary to inspire change. Transformation of a food desert to a food oasis does not happen overnight despite the wishes of most policymakers and residents. Rather, it is a long and challenging process. However, community food projects such as “Market Makeovers” would help spark the importance of community involvement in South LA and lead the community in the right direction. I also enjoyed the Q&A from the class as it did help me broaden my perspective to look at different ways our society is working toward the goal of a healthy food environment and healthy food education.

(Note: *Sorry guys! I was meaning to say Public Health as my 2nd field!)

No comments:

Post a Comment